Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Protein Pancakes

It was another unplanned diner night topped off with a trip to the commissary. I was searching for the pre-thawed chicken breasts which were no where to be found. Racking my brain and trying to think of something healthy & quick to make that didn't involve to much prep I drew a blank.  Thankfully I'm really good about sticking to my guns and did not buy some easy frozen pizza dinner. I wanted to keep it healthy and simple, but didn't want to start searching my recipe aps for an idea in the middle of the store.  So, I decided to take the plunge as ask my son what he wanted for dinner. Of course!! Pancakes! Perfect!

Instantly protein pancakes jumped into mind along with some pumpkin. Everything that comes to mind lately has been pumpkin so why not wing it. I grabbed some whole wheat pancake mix, a can of 100% pure pumpkin, egg whites, and of course some turkey sausage (another request from my son).

Now if you've been with me for any amount of time you know that I love Jamie Eason recipes! And let me tell you, this one was probably the best I've ever made! With a few tweaks of my own. I was going for simple and quick of course.


Ingredients:
1 cup Whole Wheat Pancake mix
1 cup Almond Milk ( I used unsweetened vanilla)
1 Egg White (3tbsp)

2 Tbsp Cinnamon
1/5 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (for spices I just sprinkled in to it looked to be those amounts)
1/2 cup 100% Pure Pumkin
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (I use Optimum Nutrition 100% whey)


Mix the pumpkin & egg white together then add the almond milk & protein powder and stir until it's nice and creamy.

In a separate bowl mix the pancake mix, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Then add in the pumpkin mix and stir well.

Heat a skillet on low with non stick spray and pour your batter.  These do not swell, so the size you pour is the size they'll stay. Once it begins to bubble flip the pancake over and cook until the underside is lightly browned. These will be heavy and thin (at least mine were), but just delicious!!


Once done top with your choice of toppings, nuts, fruit, pure maple syrup. I did a little drizzle of Maple Syrup and they were the best pancakes I've ever had!

Here is Jamie Eason's version as well. Enjoy! :o)
Jamie Eason's Pumpkin Spice Pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment